Since its inception, the United States has been unique in its concern for fairness and justice in the legal process. Every single citizen and legal resident of the U.S. is guaranteed certain rights under the Constitution. Even those accused, charged, or convicted of a criminal offense still retain legal rights. In the event that these rights are violated at any point in the proceedings from the arrest to the trial the outcome of a criminal case can, and usually will, change often in favor of the defendant.
If you or someone you how has been charged with a crime, it is vital to consult with a trusted criminal attorney who has extensive experience protecting defendants rights. Please contact us today for a FREE consultation to ensure your legal rights are protected.
Individuals who have been accused or charged with a crime have various legal rights, five of which are extremely important and should always be invoked. They include:
- Defendants Right to an Attorney Every defendant has the right to obtain legal counsel. Lf an individual cannot afford an attorney, the court must appoint one at no cost. A defendant can also choose to represent him or herself in court, which is NOT recommended.
- Defendants Right to a Jury Trial All individuals charged with crimes have the right to a fair, public, and speedy trial. Furthermore, they are presumed innocent unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt by 12 impartial jurors.
- Defendants Right Against Self-Incrimination A defendant has the legal right to remain silent to prevent self-incrimination. Defendants are also legally eligible to testify on their own behalf.
- Defendants Right to Confront Witnesses An individual has the right to question and cross-examine every witness that testifies against him/her in trial.
- Defendants Right to Produce Evidence A defendant may present his/her evidence to the court or file a motion requesting a subpoena to call forth all witnesses and evidence that could favorably determine the outcome of the case. at no cost.
If you are facing criminal charges, don’t risk your rights or liberty. Please contact the qualified criminal defense attorney Thomas R. Cox III who will work vigorously to ensure your legal rights and interests are fully protected at every step of the legal process.